Service: Information on the Smoke Free Ontario Act
|Record #: WIN0197||Last Modified: 27 Jan 2020||Last Full Update: 27 Jan 2020|
|Toll Free Phone||1-800-265-5822|
|Primary Contact||Tobacco Enforcement Hotline, WECHU; Phone: ext 3100; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||The Health Unit’s Tobacco Enforcement Officers enforce the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 (SFOA, 2017). Under the Act the smoking of tobacco and cannabis and vaping of any substance is prohibited in the following areas:
• Enclosed public places, and workplaces such as office buildings;
• Hospitals- includes inside of premise as well as entire hospital property;
• Long-Term Care Homes- includes inside of premise as well as within 9 meters of any entrance or exit;
• Child care centres and home child care locations
• Common areas of multi-unit dwellings such as apartment buildings and condos;
• On and within 20 metres of the perimeter of children’s playgrounds;
• On and within 20 metres of sporting areas, spectator areas adjacent to sporting areas;
• On and within 20 metres of the perimeter of school grounds; and
• On and within 20 metres of the perimeter of recreation facility property.
Prohibition of Smoking on Patios
• On all bar and restaurant patios and within 9 metres of the perimeter
Note: Any Royal Canadian Legion Branch that had an uncovered patio prior to November 18, 2013 is exempt from the prohibition with respect to smoking of tobacco on patios. However, the smoking of cannabis and use of an electronic cigarette is not permitted in the area.
What are my obligations as a proprietor?
* Under the SFOA, 2017 any person who owns or occupies a place where the smoking of tobacco or cannabis, and vaping of any substance is prohibited shall place prescribed signage at each entrance and exit of the enclosed public place or area in sufficient numbers to ensure that the public are aware that no smoking or vaping is permitted.
* The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care recommends all signs be posted at a level that is clear of any obstructions and easy to see for people entering a sporting area, playground, restaurant and bar patio, school or recreation facility property.
Call your local Health Unit for additional information and ask to speak to the Tobacco Enforcement Officer.
|Hours||Essex Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 am-12 noon, 1 pm-4:30 pm|
|Areas Served||Essex County|
|Languages||English ; Limited translation upon request|
|Primary Executive||Theresa Marentette, CEO and Chief Nursing Officer|
|Alternate Executive||Dr Wajid Ahmed, Medical Officer of Health|
|Site Location||Essex County Civic Centre- Victoria Ave and Fairview (Access from Hwy 3 to Victoria or west to Fairview from Talbot Rd (County Rd 34))|
|Located In Community||Essex|
|Address & Map||
Essex Civic and Education Centre
360 Fairview Ave, Suite 215
Essex, ON N8M 3G4
View Google Map
|Intersection||Victoria Ave and Fairview Ave W|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Parking, Washroom and Entrance|