Ontario. Ministry of the Attorney General

Site: Windsor - Chatham St E

Service: Peace Bonds and Restraining Orders

Add Record Add Record | Suggest Update | Print Version (New Window)
Contact Information
Office Phone 519-253-1104
Fax 519-253-1813
Website www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/guides/restraining_order
Primary Contact Office Administrator
Description and Service Details
Description (Service) Crown Attorney's office  
* provides information on obtaining restraining orders/peace bonds 
* Restraining Orders or Peace Bonds are issued when a court believes one person may cause injury to another person and/or to members of their family, or when the court sees that you have a reasonable fear of this other person (sometimes called "no contact" orders). 
* Referral to the local court house is the first step in applying for either of these orders 
* is set out in Family Court; judge only (no jury)  
* only applies to partners and ex-partners  
* is not applicable for threats to or actual damage of property  
* length varies: usually lasts for several months; however, could also be for only a few days or could be a permanent order 
* The new Domestic Violence Protection Act, when it is in effect, will replace restraining orders. 
* Usually applications for restraining orders are made as part of a larger court proceeding under the Family Law Act (FLA), but you can apply for just a restraining order.  
* The process can take many months. 
* It will require a formal submission, evidence and a hearing at which both sides can make their claims 
* Click on the website link to learn more about the restraining order process 
* A peace bond takes place in front of a Justice of the Peace (JP) considers threats to, or acts that damage ones property, as well as personal threats and acts of violence to oneself or family members.  
* Also described as entering a recognizance. 
* It can last up to 12 months. (You can apply for another peace bond if you need protection for more than 12 months).  
* If the abuser or stalker refuses to sign this document, he/she will be jailed for up to 12 months.  
* A peace bond is not a criminal charge, but breaching one is an offence.  
* To apply for a peace bond, police do not need to be involved.  
* Make an appointment with a Justice of the Peace (JP) at the provincial court to explain why you are seeking a Peace Bond. 
* If the JP agrees with your concern, s/he will issue a summons requiring the other person to appear in court on a specific date.
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm
Areas Served Essex County
Eligibility Persons inquiring or needing a peace bond or restraining order
Application Application required (call for details)
Languages English ; French ; Interpretive Services - Translator - upon request
Fees None
Agency Information
Primary Executive Natalino Bernardon, Crown Attorney
Funding Provincial
Site Information
Located In Community Windsor
Address & Map
Ontario Court of Justice Bldg
200 Chatham St E, 5th Fl
Windsor, ON N9A 2W3
View MapQuest Map
Intersection Goyeau St and Chatham St E
Physical Access Fully Accessible - Parking, Washroom, Entrance and Elevator

Still can't find a service? Call us.

Call 2-1-1, Toll Free: 1-866-686-0045