Service: Office of the City Clerk - Civil Marriage Ceremonies
|Record #: WIN0687||Last Modified: 11 Dec 2019||Last Full Update: 11 Dec 2019|
|Office Phone||General Information: 311
Detailed Inquiries: 519-255-6100 ext 6139
Callers in the surrounding county can call: 255-CITY (2489)
|Toll Free Phone||Long-distance callers can call: 1-877-RING311 (746-4311).|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||Civil Marriage Ceremonies
* The City of Windsor now offers civil marriage ceremonies in the Civil Ceremony Room, Room 106, 350 City Hall Square West, Windsor.
* Ceremonies, available in English only
* The solemn service lasts approximately 20 minutes.
* The service time booked should be approximately 30 minutes to allow for photo opportunities etc.
* If an interpreter is required, more time would be needed (call for details)
Officiants and the Ceremony
* City staff are trained and designated by the City Clerk and will act as officiants to solemnize the ceremony.
* The civil marriage service will be a non-denominational and solemn, ceremony, which adheres to the requirements of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Weddings in Local Parks and Facilities: Click Here for Details
|Hours||Office Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:30 am-4:30 pm * Excluding Holidays
Civil ceremonies: Performed at City Hall, Mon-Fri, 9:15 am, 10 am, 10:45 am, 11:30 am, 2:45 pm and 3:45 pm.
|Areas Served||Essex County ; Windsor|
|Eligibility||* Individuals requiring the services of the City of Windsor's Civil Marriage Ceremonies
* Persons of the same sex can obtain a marriage license.
* Must have A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence: Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence.
* Marriage licenses are also available from any local municipality in Ontario. Visit our marriage licence web page for more information and additional requirements.
* Two (2) Witnesses: Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as indicated in section 25 of the Marriage Act. (The City of Windsor does not provide witnesses).
* City staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe lacks capacity to marry (Visit the website to learn more).
|Application||* Application Process required
* Ceremonies are available by appointment only.
* Both applicants must attend an interview with the officiator and bring photo ID and the marriage licence to the interview.
* Couples preferring to reserve a special date and time can do so over the phone or in-person at the Office of the City Clerk (Certain dates and times throughout the year are not available for bookings, including Statutory Holidays).
* A non-refundable $50.00 deposit is required to hold an appointment.
* Divorce: Divorce judgments or orders are not acceptable.
* Marriage after Divorce: If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce when purchasing the license. Photocopies will not be accepted.
* If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office
* Language Interpreter: Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English (The interpreter will be required to show the license issuer one (1) piece of valid photo identification).
* A partial refund will be given to couples who cancel the marriage ceremony within 48 hours. (see above) Marriage licences are non-refundable
* All Ceremonies Must be paid in full prior to the Civil Ceremony
All Fees are in addition to the non-refundable marriage license fee
* Personal Cheques are not accepted
|Fees||Service - The fee for a Civil Ceremony is $250.00, payable in cash (Canadian Funds only), debit or by credit card (Visa or Mastercard), A $50.00 portion of the fee is non-refundable applicable in the case of a cancellation of a ceremony ; Deposit - A non-refundable $50 deposit is required to hold an appointment.|
|Primary Executive||Valerie Critchley, City Clerk; Phone: (Business) 519-255-6211|
|Funding||City / Town - City of Windsor|
|Located In Community||Windsor|
|Address & Map||
350 City Hall Square W, Suite 110
Windsor, ON N9A 6S1
View Google Map
|Intersection||McDougall Ave and University Ave E|
|Mailing Address||c/o Vital Statistics
PO Box 1607
Windsor, ON N9A 6S1
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Parking, Automatic entrance, Washroom and Elevator|