Precision Diagnostic Imaging
Site: Windsor - Howard Ave
Service: PET/CT Scans
|Record #: WIN0706||Last Modified: 01 Sep 2017||Last Full Update: 28 Aug 2017|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||What is a PET/CT scan?
* PET is an acronym for Positron Emission Tomography. PET is a test that uses special imaging and a radioactive type of sugar to produce pictures of the body function and metabolism of cells in the body.
* CT stands for Computed Tomography. CT is an X-ray test that generates a detailed view of the anatomy or structure of organs and tissues in the body. The CT scan can show the dimension of vessels, lymph nodes and organ systems.
* A PET/CT scan can depict both technologies using a single machine. It provides a picture of function (PET), a picture of anatomy (CT) and a merged picture of both the body’s metabolism and structure.
What is the difference between a PET/CT and a regular CT or MRI?
* One of the main differences between PET scans and other imaging devices such as CT and MRI is that the PET scan reveals the cellular level metabolic changes occurring in an organ or tissue.
* A PET scan can often detect these very early changes, whereas a CT or MRI detect changes later as the disease begins to cause changes in the structure of organs or tissues.
What are the main benefits of PET/CT Scanning?
* PET/CT helps physicians diagnose, stage and treat cancer with more accuracy than ever before.
The exam can provide answers to the following critical questions:
* Where is the tumor?
* Is it spreading?
* How large is it?
* What is the optimal therapy?
* Is the therapy working?
* Is there a recurrence?
|Hours||Mon-Fri: 8 am-4 pm|
|Areas Served||Essex County|
|Application||* Registration required
* Doctor referral required
|Fees||Service - Most services covered by OHIP|
|Primary Executive||Dr Kevin Tracey|
|Funding||Provincial - OHIP|
|Located In Community||Windsor|
|Address & Map||
2462 Howard Ave
Windsor, ON N8X 3V6
View Google Map
|Intersection||Howard Ave and Lens Ave|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Parking, Washroom and Entrance|