Service: Relief from Property Taxation - Sickness or Extreme Poverty
|Record #: WIN0808||Last Modified: 25 Apr 2018||Last Full Update: 25 Apr 2018|
|Office Phone||3-1-1 or 519-255-CITY (2489)|
|Toll Free Phone||1-877-RING 311 (746-4311) * Outside the City of Windsor 1-866-488-9311|
|TTY Phone||Use Bell Relay Service. Dial 711 from TTY or call 1-800-855-0511|
|Primary Contact||Janice Guthrie, Deputy Treasurer, City of Windsor-Taxation and Financial Projects; Phone: 519-255-6100 ext 6271; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alternate Contact||Roger Lauziere, Manager of Property Assessment, City of Windsor-Taxation and Financial Projects; Phone: 519-255-6100 ext 6170; Email: email@example.com|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||Tax Relief Program: Sickness or Extreme Poverty
* Tax adjustment applications are available for those property owners who are applying for tax relief due to sickness or extreme poverty under Section 357. (1) (d.1) of the Ontario Municipal Act.
* A reduction or refund of property taxes can be provided for in the year following the year in respect of which the application is made to the City Treasurer
* The intention of the program is to provide temporary relief for those property owners who may qualify.
* The Tax Adjustment applies only to single family residential homes.
* Property Assessment Value for taxation year 2018 should be equal to or less than $159,000. However, property assessment which falls above the cut-off level must be below the property taxes.
* Any personal savings above the property taxes must first be used to pay off taxes. Any remaining balance will be subject to consideration for relief.
* The property owner may only apply for a period of 2 years on the same property.
* The program does not address any arrears taxes that a property owner may have from prior years. (If this is the case, the property owner is required to discuss a payment plan with someone from the Administration)
|Hours||Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm|
|Dates||* Applications are available in mid Dec annually.
* The deadline for submitting applications is the last day of Feb of the year following the year for which the application is made.
|Eligibility||Low income residential property owners who have experienced Sickness Or Extreme Poverty: Click on the link for eligibility requirements Sickness or Extreme Poverty
Call for complete information about eligibility and application requirements
|Application||The following documents will be required to accompany the application:
* A copy of the Income Tax Return from Canada Revenue Agency.
* A copy of the Notice of Personal Income Tax Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency.
* Copies must be provided for all current/listed owners on the property together with the spouse/partner of the property owner and any occupants 18 years of age or older.
* Children below the age of 18 in full time attendance at a qualifying educational institution are excluded (must provide proof of enrolment if 16-18 years of age).
* A copy of an official Bank Statement for each of the months of Jan-Dec of the year to which the application relates.
* Copies must be provided for all current/listed owners on the property together with the spouse/partner of the property owner (this includes any account whether you have it by yourself or with someone else or whether it is in your name or any other name).
* In addition, other supporting documentation may be requested if more information is required with respect to your application.
Please note that the applicant must submit the Tax Adjustment Application on or before Feb 28th
* (however the applicant has three months after the submission deadline for the application has passed to provide all other required supporting documentation.
* Deadline for supporting documentation is May 31st.
* The application will not be processed unless all required information has been provided.
|Funding||City / Town|
|Located In Community||Windsor|
|Address & Map||
350 City Hall Square W, 4th Flr
Windsor, ON N9A 6S1
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Parking, Washroom and Entrance|