Site: Windsor - Cantelon Dr
Service: Plentiful Harvest Food Rescue Program
|Record #: WIN1963||Last Modified: 25 Oct 2018||Last Full Update: 25 Oct 2018|
|Primary Contact||Mike Turnbull; Phone: ext 117; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Description and Service Details|
|Description (Service)||* UHC's Plentiful Harvest Food Rescue program helps to reduce hunger by rescuing large quantities of food, both fresh and prepared, that is then packaged and distributed to the hungry in our community.
* Through donations from over 65 local farms, greenhouses and food distributors; over 15 million pounds of food has been rescued and distributed to those in need in Windsor-Essex.
* The Caesars Windsor Cares Community Kitchen is used as a clean room to wash, proportionally repackage fresh and prepared foods, fruits, vegetables and meats that have been collected for community distribution.
* The kitchen is also used to preserve food through canning, vacuum sealing, dehydration and is equipped with a walk-in fridge/freezer.
* Also offered are free cooking lessons and workshops about shopping on a budget in order to save individuals and families money, understanding nutritional facts on labels, teaching what basic foods to keep on hand and keeping and handling food safely for healthy living.
* The Unemployed Help Centre also has a 200-plot Community Garden that families can use to plant and harvest their own vegetables.
|Hours||Admin Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm|
|Areas Served||Essex County ; Windsor|
|Eligibility||Low income individuals|
|Application||Application process required * call for details|
|Primary Executive||June Muir, CEO of UHC and President of the Windsor Essex Food Bank Association|
|Located In Community||Windsor|
|Address & Map||
6955 Cantelon Dr
Windsor, ON N8T 3J9
|Intersection||Cantelon Dr and Lauzon Pkwy|
|Bus Routes||Ottawa 4|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible - Parking, Washroom and Entrance|